Can I lower FBS with brisk walk only?

02/22/2010

Question:

I am a male/55 years on HBP medicines but obese with 115 kg weight. I have IGT and higher than normal fasting glucose in the vicinity of 115 to 125 Post prandial is within 100.Hba1c is 6.6. Normal lipid level no thyroid no other heart problems liver/renal functions normal I had OGTT which was showing decreased Glucose tolerance FBS 120 1st Hour 238 and second hour 198. My dr suggested Metformin 500 after meal I have not started yet as I am scared of drugs

I have a family history of DM My sister has DM

My query is without starting a metformin 500 mg is it possible to bring down the HbA1c/FBS values by a speedy or brisk walk for 30 minutes and sugarless items and dieting I am vagan non alchoholic non tobaccochewer.I am awaiting eagerly for your response because while browsing the answers, your responses are of very high value and qualititative.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, we try to answer general questions about diabetes but cannot diagnose or recommend treatment. You appear to have some very, very specific questions about your blood sugar control, which can only be answered properly by a physician who is familiar with your history, physical exam, and test results. Your questions about the risks, benefits, and alternatives for proposed treatments of this condition need to be directed to your treating physician(s). You should insist that they answer these questions in a way that you are able to understand before consenting to any treatment. If your physician is unable to help you understand these issues, you should get a second opinion. Take care.

We certainly encourage people to increase physical activity within the context of assessing risk for acute coronary events and it is common to combine a more active lifestyle with diabetes medications.  There are advantages to pursuing both sets of measures initially to achieve tighter blood sugar control and then re-evaluate periodically what is needed.

Robert M Cohen, MD Robert M Cohen, MD