Mouth Diseases

Grainy Stringy Saliva

03/09/2010

Question:

HELP. I have stringy thick like saliva that is very grainy that gets around my teeth. I can take a pick and pull the thick grainy stuff from my teeth. This stuff gets packed in and around my teeth and gums. I have been to doctors, dentist and specialist. I need help.

Answer:

From your description, it would appear that you have the texture component of a condition called burning mouth syndrome. This is a fairly common problem that represents what is known as a sensory neuropathy - in other words, the nerves that tell the brain about things like pain (it's the pain component that gives the condition its name), taste and texture are not working correctly and are sending bad messages to the brain. I am assuming that all of the other doctors have not found anything abnormal as far as your mouth is concerned.

Burning mouth syndrome is harmless, but annoying. Currently there is no medically proven treatment, but many patients will get better after an unpredictable period of time. For more information, please visit the links below.

An oral pathologist would be the correct specialist to confirm this diagnosis, however.

Burning Mouth Syndrome
Burning Mouth/Burning Tongue Syndrome

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor Emeritus of Oral Pathology