Addiction and Substance Abuse

Help Me to Recover!!!

07/16/2010

Question:

im trying to recover from long term cocaine, herion, benzo, pot. iv taking helpful advice you guy b4. o.k. I pray to got to retore me to sanity,i eat heslthy workout alot but i get these racing thoughts ... some are of past event in wich no relavence of today or task at hand? some are projecting to furture events that might not even happrn.... and of course at night \. I mean im getting better/ just them thoughts?/? also if i return to (normal) r there programs to help with funding to go back to school to learn about substance abuse? i would love to teach young kids about the effects of long term use! please keep this private....

Answer:

You asked about "racing thoughts"--this may be due to several things, not the least of which is ongoing drug use. So, in early recovery, this may be just a part of the process. Using drugs and withdrawing from drugs could cause "racing thoughts."

However, if you become sober for more than 4 to 6 weeks and are still having racing thoughts, then the cause could be an underlying mental illness such as depression, bipolar disorder or anxiety disorder. If the racing thoughts continue to bother you after you have been sober for a while, it may be time to consult with a psychiatrist or other mental health professional.

As to your second question regarding going back to school to learn about substance abuse and teach others about it, that would vary from state to state. Here in Ohio there is a statewide organization known as the Ohio Chemical Dependency Professionals Board, which helps to train and license individuals who want to become drug and alcohol counselors. They may be able to answer your questions re: funding and returning to school. The Phone Number is (614) 387-1110 and website is http://ocdp.ohio.gov/.

Good luck in your recovery process! I wish you the best.

Go to the Addiction and Substance Abuse health topic, where you can:

Christina M Delos Reyes, MD Christina M Delos Reyes, MD
Assistant Professor of Psychiatry