Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders

MUCOID CYST AND DIPLOPIA

02/22/2010

Question:

ON NOV 5 2009 I AWOKE WITH DOUBLE VISION, I AM AGE 49, I HAVE NO SIGNIFICANT HEALTH ISSUES. I WAS TAKING ONE PRESCRIPTION MED AT THE TIME VYVANSE. I WENT TO THE ER FAIRLY QUICKLY WENT TO MRI--NORMAL MRI-- ONLY A MUCOID CYST WAS NOTED IN MY RIGHT MAXILLARY SINUS.(THE RIGHT EYE WAS THE ONE NOT MOVING PROPERLY). I WAS THEN SENT TO MY EYE DOCTOR, MY OPTIC NERVE WAS NORMAL. HE DIAGNOSED MY ISSUE AS PROBABLY A VIRUS IN MY ABDUCENS MUSCLE. THE DIPLOPIA WAS COMPLETELY GONE BY THE NEXT AM 0900. ONLY THING OUT OF THE ORDINARY I HAD DONE WAS USE A NETI POT FOR SINUS I HAD BEEN EXPERIENCING. COULD THE DIPLOPIA BE RELATED TO THE MUCOID CYST? I HAVE HAD NO REOCCURRENCE. I STOPPED THE VYVANSE. Thank You

Answer:

If the mucoid cyst is isolated to the sinus and not pushing up into the orbit, it is not related.

Go to the Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders health topic, where you can:

Lee   Zimmer, MD Lee Zimmer, MD
Assistant Professor or Otolaryngology, Director of Endoscopic Cranial Base Center