Braces

Congenital Maxillary Canine/Lateral Incisor

02/19/2010

Question:

My 11 yo daughter went for her cleaning and xrays today. (she has been to the dentist a ton in her life, this is a new one. After initial x-rays, and follow up x-rays, our family dentist showed us that her right side maxilary is deformed. She has her 2 front central incisors, on the left side she has the lateral incisor, then her canine. They are all permanent teeth. But, on her right side, she has the right sided central incisor, then her ADULT canine, and lastly her permanent BABY lateral incisors! They are totally opposite of her left side. This is causing her 2 fron central incisors to grow upwards with a huge gap between them. I know we need to see an orthodonist, but can you please explain this, how it happens, and our options? Thank you.

Answer:

This is a problem with the development of the teeth and cannot be prevented. The treatment is routine for an orthodontic specialist and now is the time to begin treatment.

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Mark G Hans, DDS, MSD Mark G Hans, DDS, MSD
Professor of Orthodontics
School of Dental Medicine