Eye and Vision Care

Itching Eyelids

04/09/2010

Question:

For the past 7 weeks, I’ve been having this persistent itching in both the eyelids. There are neither flakes nor visible redness (having said that, I have a darker skin tone). The eyelid skin is, however, very tender.

Although I make a concerted effort not to scratch my eyelids, it does seem as if I succumb whilst asleep, and the result is that my corneas are rather red.

Regarding my ocular history, I’m in my late 20s, haven’t had any eye problems so far and do I wear contacts. This problem doesn’t have any impact on my vision. I have started using over-the-counter eye drops since this problem started. On the dermatological end, however, I recently developed dandruff in my hair and this seems to have affected my eyebrows as well.

I will be very grateful if you could throw some light on what the problem might be and how it could be solved. Many thanks.

Answer:

Eyelid itching is often associated with a condition called contact dermatitis. This presents, however, usually with some degree of skin flaking and can be caused by a number of different irritants, including nail polish, face cream or lotions, makeup, etc.

For proper diagnosis and treatment, I recommend scheduling an appointment with your eye doctor or dermatologist. He or she will be better suited to recommend a treatment and management plan based on your specific condition and needs.

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Julia Rae Geldis, OD, MS Julia Rae Geldis, OD, MS
Clinical Assistant Professor of Optometry
College of Optometry