Which lab value is reliable?

02/22/2010

Question:

I am from India. I have a query. I am 55 years obese hypertensive male. I was tested for blood sugar. A blood Sample was collected after 12 hours of overnight fast. I was administered 75 gram glucose and again a blood sample was collected. My values were Fasting 120 Post blood glucose 198.

After 3 days I approached another reputed laboratory A blood Sample was collected after 12 hours of overnight fast. I was asked to take my regular lunch which I took and again a blood sample was collected. My values were Fasting 120 Post prandial blood glucose was 98

Now I have 2 values. Here one dr put stress on the values of 120 and 198. He suggested me to take Metformin 850 mg.

Whereas another dr says I have only impaired fasting and need not bother about the values of 198 which was after 2 hours og 75 gm glucose.

I go for a awlk at least 6 to 8 kilometers. Only thing which I have observed I take rice , potato and teas frequently. Can U advise me what should I do. Let me tell you my mother died of diabeteic coma at the age of 59 and my alive sister has diabetes. Apart from lifestyle modifications, is it necessary to start metformin. I have as yet not started. I may inform you that my impaired fasting is since 2 years."

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, we try to answer general questions about diabetes but cannot diagnose or recommend treatment. You appear to have some very, very specific questions about your blood sugar control, which can only be answered properly by a physician who is familiar with your history, physical exam, and test results. Your questions about the testing results you've been given or the risks, benefits, and alternatives for proposed treatments of this condition need to be directed to your treating physician(s). You should insist that they answer these questions in a way that you are able to understand before consenting to any treatment. If your physician is unable to help you understand these issues, you should get a second opinion. Take care.

Metformin is an excellent drug when prescribed to the appropriate person and would be very commonly prescribed in the USA in the situation you describe.

Robert M Cohen, MD Robert M Cohen, MD