Athletic Training

Knee Injury Two Years Ago

02/25/2010

Question:

Hi I am 21 years old. A little over 2 years ago I injured my knee playing basketball. I tore my meniscus, MCL, and partially tore my ACL. I did not have surgery and rehabbed for several months. I have played several sports over the past two years including basketball and hockey wearing my custom brace. When I run and work out at the gym though I do not use the brace. My knee especially the MCL area has begun to significantly hurt over the past couple of weeks when I increased my workout schedule. Even though the knee has never sublixated since the initial injury, will I ever need surgery. Or should I continue along the same pattern with knee strengthening exercises and R.I.C.E..

Answer:

It is very difficult to answer this question without knowing two things:

1.) What type of workout routine (ie: what types of exercises/cardio activities) you are doing on a regular basis without your brace on?

2.) What types of exercises you are doing for maintenance knee strengthening?

Several factors could be contributing to the increase in knee pain you have been experiencing. These factors could include (but are not limited to) the type of weight bearing activities you are doing, your form when doing exercises (is there a valgus load or stress to the inside of your knee during exercises?), to even the type of surfaces you are working out on.

I really cannot answer whether or not you will ever need surgery. That is a conversation you need to have with your orthopedist. It all depends on how active you are going to be (which it sounds like you are a very active person) and the severity of the initial injury. I would recommend a follow up with your orthopedist to re-evaluate how your knee is doing at this point in time and to discuss your options. I hope this helps, best of luck!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Katrina B Stibel, MA, ATC Katrina B Stibel, MA, ATC
Former:
Assistant Athletic Trainer, Instructor
Department of Athletics