Eye and Vision Care

Gray Squarish Circle Lined in Light

I have vitreous detachment and my floaters with flashes are very mild and not even noticeable except sometimes in a darkened room. I`ve been evaluated by specialists and had photos taken of my eyes 3 weeks ago. Two weeks ago, I noticed a gray, squarish circle (or perhaps a circle with a square-ish shape in my field of vision. I blinked and it "dissolved" from the center, outwards, but NOT like a concentric circle...more like an ever-widening path down the center going toward the edges, until it was gone.

This has happened a couple of other times. There is a also very thin outline of "light" around the perimeter of this thing. When I blink, the area disappears quickly and my vision is fine again. It usually is related to when I wake up in the morning, or when I wake up from a nap.

Is this "normal" or does it merit another visit to my specialist? Thank you!

This does not sound normal. Vitreous detachments should get better over time, not worse. See your eye doctor soon. You may have a small hemorrhage or even an early retinal detachment.

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO Robert D Newcomb, OD, MPH, FAAO
Professor Emeritus of Clinical Optometry
College of Optometry