Urinary Disorders

UTI & Abnormal Ultrasound

03/08/2010

Question:

I`ve been having at least a small amount of blood & bacteria in my urine for about 6mo or longer. Symptomatic infections about every other month or so. An ultrasound said that my left kidney shows an irregular, lobulated contour.

About 7-10yrs ago I had kidney stones on the right. 7yrs ago a total hysterectomy for adenomyomas & the transvaginal tape procedure for incontinence. My ultrasound was normal at that time. Interestingly I haven`t had a stone since either.

Could the uterus be the cause of the abnormal u.s.? What`s with the bacteria & blood now if my scan was ok?

Answer:

The uterus is probably not related to the findings on the scans or the symptoms you are having. It is important to follow up with a urologist to ensure that you are emptying the bladder well after the transvaginal tape procedure, and to further evaluate you for the recurrent infections and blood in the urine.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Donald R Bodner, MD Donald R Bodner, MD
Professor of Urology