Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders

hypersensitive sense of smell

03/15/2010

Question:

Some months ago I began noticing that food had a much stronger odor, at first dairy products began to smell spoiled. But my family assured me that our milk, etc. was fine and didn`t smell bad to them at all. It then progressed with more and more foods smelling rotten, now it is to the point where I can`t go into a restaurant or grocery store without being nauseated by the smell and can barely cook at home, although it is not limited to cooked foods. I have asthma, allergies, and reflux, and take claritin and prilosec for these conditions. I changed from zyrtec to claritin and went off the prilosec for a time to see if that made a difference, it didn`t. Any suggestions as to possible cause? Or do I start living with a clothes pin on my nose?

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. A question similar to yours has been previously addressed. The link below will connect you to that information. NetWellness may also have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Netwellness: Heightened Sense of Smell

Go to the Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders health topic, where you can:

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org