Redo Root Canal With or Without Crown

03/11/2010

Question:

Hi, My endodontist recently suggested that I should have one of my root canal redone and he told me that he can do it through my crown. I had previously had one of my other root canal redone, in which case, my regular dentist just removed the crown. So, what are the differences between removing the crown or redoing it through the crown and what are the risks?

Also, I have 5 teeth that have root canal done so far. Are there any risks when too many teeth`s nerves are removed? Thanks.

Answer:

Whether a root canal can be done through a crown or if the crown needs to be redone, depends on each individual case. If there is nothing wrong with the crown or the tooth beneath it (decay, crack, etc.) and the crown is not damaged during the root canal re-treatment, then a filling can be placed in the crown. With any of the other issues, the crown may need to be redone. Removing the crown without destroying it (i.e. trying to remove it and put it back on later) usually is not possible.

There are no risks to having multiple root canal treatments. Unfortunately, as adults the nerves in our teeth only serve one purpose, to cause pain.

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics