1000mg/dl sugar in urine How bad is this?

03/04/2010

Question:

Recenetly I went to give blood platlettes. My colesteral & blood pressure were just below their allowed limits. But hen they tested for sugar in urine they told me I could not give blood. I saw from an answer here that >200 mg/dl is not good. My was at 1,000 mg/dl. Blood blank just said I don`t qualify to give. Over 200 means diabetes likely, non-expert said I should go to hiospital immediately. Is the 1000 normaly for diabetic or does it mean kidneys about to go?

Answer:

It is difficult to say what a urine sugar at that level is going to translate to in terms of a blood sugar.  I would go ahead and seek medical attention.  I can't really put a level of urgency on it on the basis of the information provided.  In that circumstance and not knowing anything further about you, all I can say is that I would get it checked out without delay.

Robert M Cohen, MD Robert M Cohen, MD