Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Colon Cancer

Anal/Rectal Melanoma



My husband was just diagnosed with anal/rectal melanoma. What sort of doctors should we look for on our team? I was surprised that a GI Oncologist wouldn`t give a second opinion because he doesn`t do `melanoma`. We`ve been told this is very rare, but hope to find someone who will attempt to treat it. Is there any hope to avoid a colostomy?


You would need to find a melanoma oncologist to help coordinate your husband's care. A colorectal or surgical oncologist would also be needed to do the surgery.

For more information:

Go to the Colon Cancer health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Thomas  Olencki, DO Thomas Olencki, DO
Clinical Professor of Medical Oncology
College of Medicine
The Ohio State University