Lung diseases

Chronic Parenchymal Scarring

03/08/2010

Question:

HAD CXR DONE AND THE FINDINGS WERE CHRONIC PARENCHYMAL SCARRING. I WENT TO ER WITH CHEST AND UPPER BACK SPASMS I THOUGHT I WAS HAVING A HEART ATTACK, THEY FOUND THAT MY CPK`S WERE ELVATED AND MY LEFT ATRUIM WAS ENLARGED AND THAT I HAD PLUERSEY. THEY DID NOT TELL ME TO FOLLOW UP WITH CARDIO OR RESPERTORY. I STIL HAVE THE SPASMS IN MY CHEST, I DO BREATHING TX Q 4 HRS WHEN HOME AND I GET SOME RELIEF FROM THE PLUERSEY.WHAT IS PARENCHYMAL SCARRING AND DOES IT LEAD TO CANCER OF THE LUNGS.MY FATHER DIED AT 49 Y/O FROM AN ANURESYUM AND EMPHEMSA

Answer:

Chronic parenchymal scarring is often a result of an old infection or inflammation. If it is an old scar (meaning it has been present on old CXRs and hasn't changed), it usually doesn't cause symptoms or lead to cancer. A CT scan of the lungs can help get a better look at this area.

Since you have chest pain and need frequent breathing treatments, you should talk to your physician to determine if you need any further testing.

Go to the Lung diseases health topic, where you can:

Karen L Wood, MD Karen L Wood, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine