Obesity and Weight Management

What Carbs Are Fast Or Slow?

03/16/2010

Question:

Where can I find a list of fast & slow carb foods?

Answer:

I am going to assume that you are really interested in what the glycemic response (how fast and high your blood sugar rises) is to various foods with carbohydrate in them. You can get a list of foods and their glycemic index at several web sites.

The most complete table is one that the author got permission to reproduce from a journal article by Professor Jennie Brand-Miller of the University of Sydney that was published in the Dec. 2008 issue of Diabetes Care. The Table covers both the glycemic index (GI) and glycemic load (GL). The author is a journalist and writer who has put his effort into writing about diabetes, but the table he has put together is based on refereed journal publications. The web site gives a good explanation of GI and GL. The web site is http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm 

Go to the Obesity and Weight Management health topic, where you can:

Sharron   Coplin, MS, RD, LD Sharron Coplin, MS, RD, LD
Former Lecturer
Food & Nutrition
College of Education and Human Ecology