Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Iron Def. Anemia and Anemia of Chronic Diseas

03/12/2010

Question:

I have RA that is causing the anemia of chronic disease. I got the results of my blood tests and my doctor told me that I also have iron def. anemia. My hemaglobin is 9.5 and he said that I have no iron in my body. He put me on 2 slow fe a day. I had symptoms of my anemia. I was tired, cold, short of breath and a strange heart beat. Almost as soon as I went on the iron the strange heart beat stoped. I have been on the iron for a little over a month now. I still have the tired, feeling cold and the short of breath. I am a 36 year old female. What could be causing the iron def. anemia? I eat healthy and my periods only last two days. How long might it take for the iron pills to work? Do most people have to take the iron pill for the rest of their lives?

Answer:

It is really hard to answer the questions you ask without being able to talk with you, examine you, and see your lab work. If you were iron deficient, you should start to slowly improve in the first week you are taking the iron. Over the next couple of weeks you should see a steady rise in the hemoglobin if you appropriately respond to the iron.

I hope that helps. It really is not possible to say much more over a forum such as this.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine