Lung Cancer

Noncalcified Pulmonary Nodule

I am 33 year old male approaching 34 in a month. I am suspected to have TB infection for which diagnosis is going on. My blood test for mycobacteria came as positive. For testing the infection I have undergone CT scan for neck, chest, abdomen and pelvis. Have a swollen lymph node on right side of the neck, which is suspected to have TB infection and waiting for its biopsy. However, in the CT scan a 3 mm x 5 mm noncalcified pulmonary nodule in my right lung base is found. Radiologist recommended a followup CT scan in 6 months to 1 year. How much should I worry about the possible lung cancer? I heard that if it is caused by the TB infection the nodule should be clacified. In my case what can it be then? I hope I get the answer in this forum. I am research scholar working in an Engineering discipline. Thank you!

Small lung nodules are very common especially in certain areas of the country such as the midwest or southwest.  The likelihood this represents a cancer is less than 5%.  TB nodules can calcify over time, but are not always calcified.  I would agree with a repeat chest CT in 6 months.

I hope this helps.

Go to the Lung Cancer health topic, where you can:

Sandra L Starnes, MD Sandra L Starnes, MD
Assistant Professor of Surgery