Pain Management

Knee Pain

03/22/2010

Question:

Since 02/11/10, I`ve had pain on my right knee. I am pain-free when I awake, but by mid-afternoon the area over the patella starts hurting a lot, regardless if I have been sedentary or active that day. Four, regular-strength aspirins alleviate it for about four hours. Touching the knee cap does not hurt. Sometimes, the pain is on either side of the patella or on the upper or lower right side of the thigh. RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) does not help with the pain. The knee is not swollen or discolored. Movement is not limited. I did not have an accident, it just started hurting. I`m a 58 year old, slim, fit woman who walks 3 miles a day. On a regular basis, I do strength training and yoga. My knee has never been injured, and I don`t have any other pains. Can you suggest what is causing the knee pain and how to alleviate it permanently? Thanks for your help.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. A question similar to yours has been previously addressed. The links below will connect you to that information. NetWellness may also have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Chronic, undiagnosed knee pain
Knee pain after standing for long periods

Go to the Pain Management health topic, where you can:

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org