Home HealthTopics Health Centers Reference Library Research
Join us on Facebook Join us on Facebook Share on Facebook

Digestive Disorders

Chronic and Intermittent Abdominal Pain



My wife has had chronic and intermittent abdominal pain for the past year. She recently went to a doctor about it and had some tests. Here are the results: -very high amylase, serum (4 times the max value) -from abd ultrasound mild diffuse fatty liver infiltrates, no gallstones, mild gb wall prominence, prancreas and kidneys normal in size, mild splenomegaly, think pylorus.

We don`t have insurance so we are already wiped out from these tests, but the doctor suggests either an mri or ct scan.

What could it be? Which is better: mri or ct scan? With or without contrast? Any ideas on how to pay for all of it?


Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, NetWellness experts try to answer general questions about health. Only a health professional performing a thorough clinical exam is able to evaluate your symptoms. 

The US Department of Health and Human Services Bureau of Primary Health Care has a directory that will help you find a clinic that will give you medical, including dental care, even if you have no medical insurance or money.

Coverage For All.org also contains information about free medical care and programs in your area.

For more information:

Go to the Digestive Disorders health topic, where you can:

Response by:

Julia Gore Thornton, MD Julia Gore Thornton, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine
School of Medicine
Case Western Reserve University