Sarcoidosis

Calcium and Vitamin D

03/23/2010

Question:

Hi. I had sarcoidosis about 30 years ago and have never had another episode. Recently I read that people with sarcoid should avoid vitamin d and calcium. I have been taking these for years. I recently had blood tests done and my calcium was 10 in a reference of 8.5-10.5. Do you think it`s allright to keep taking them where my sarcoid was so many years ago? Thank you very much.

Answer:

Dear Sir/Madam- Not all persons with sarcoidosis develop high calcium levels in the blood or urine (e.g., causing kidney stones). However, some do, and they often require treatment, including avoidance of excess calcium, vitamin D and sunlight.

This being said, many sarcoidosis patients actually have low vitamin D levels and should be taking supplements, as you are. If there is any question about your vitamin D levels or concerns about elevated calcium levels in your blood or urine, your doctor can perform some simple tests to make sure it is safe to continue taking vitamin D and calcium supplements.

Based on the fact that you have been doing well for 30 years, the risks of continuing to take these supplements is rather low.

Go to the Sarcoidosis health topic, where you can:

Elliott D Crouser, MD Elliott D Crouser, MD
Associate Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep Medicine