Thyroid Diseases

Goiter

04/28/2010

Question:

I`m 21. I was diagnosed with a goiter when I was 14. my doctor assured me that it was a simple goiter (very small) after she had a biopsy on me. She gave me 100 mcg thyrax and I`m taking it now every day, but my goiter didn`t reduce. Instead it grew very slowly that it can now be slightly seen on my left lobe. I don`t feel any symptoms. It`s just that I feel a size on my neck. I have a normal and regular menstruation. We went to another doctor last month for a second opinion and the doctor said that I can have a surgery to remove it. I took my medicines with lapses. After removing my goiter (left lobe), I`m just worried and fear that I may develop hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism and may affect my future life and may prevent pregnancy, but didnt feel any symptoms to any of it except that last week I feel cold and have sweety palms and feet and have shaking thinking about the upcoming surgery, but I`m okay now. My surgeon said that med doesn`t guarantee that my goiter will be reduced. Is it true that my med is not really working and that`s why my goiter is growing very slowly? Is there any option aside from surgery? (it freaks me out) Lastly, what is these thyrogen? Is it an injectible thing that can reduce the goiter size? After my surgery what is the possible thing that may happen?

Thank you so much.

Answer:

Without examining you and reviewing scans some of these questions are hard to awswer. Seeing and otolaryngologist who treats thyroid problems may help. Good luck.

Go to the Thyroid Diseases health topic, where you can:

Yash J Patil, MD Yash J Patil, MD
Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology