Braces

Will Retainer Fit Again After a Few Months?

03/22/2010

Question:

I have not worn my retainer for 7 months. I wore it previously on and off for about 4 years. The longest I had it off then was 3 months before I started wearing it regularly again.

However, now, I can get it to fit, but not perfectly. It feels like there`s a "space" in my mouth on the roof, like it`s not going up all the way. It used to fit unevenly, too, with the left side going in higher than the right. It`s been in now for about 30 minutes and after 20 I noticed I can push the right up a little more. It hurts!

I don`t mind the pain (well, I do, but...) but cannot afford to get another mold for a new retainer. Will it eventually fit right if I wear it long enough? Or is it worse for my teeth if I try to wear it and it doesn`t fit right - as in it won`t shift back close to where it was?

Thank you!

Answer:

Unfortunately, you either need a new retainer or an adjustment by your orthodontist. On and off wearing will not meet your needs to preserve the correction that you have. Please try to visit your doctor and ask his/her advise.

Go to the Braces health topic, where you can:

Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS Walter C Buchsieb, DDS, MS
Professor Emeritus - Clinical, Associate of Dentistry