Mouth Diseases

Bad Taste in Mouth All the Time

03/22/2010

Question:

brushing and mouth wash only mask the problem for a very short time even use a tongue scraper

Answer:

This is a very complex issue of “perception of bad taste and oral malodors."

There are many possible causes of bad taste; infections (viral, fungal and bacterial) can be associated with bad taste perception. Thus when you have a head cold (sinusitis or Rhinitis) nothing tastes good or your taste is altered to perceive only extremes (very salty, sour or bitter).  Head trauma or closed head injury can alter taste perception. This would be the result of some form of nerve damage and could be transient or resolve over many months.

Certain medications can alter taste perception, and in some instances everything tastes bad; or the extreme, you can’t taste anything. Some food stuffs can alter taste, especially capsaicin derivatives, or cinnamon-type agents. Adverse taste perception is an interesting phenomenon, and the super bitter tastes or very sour may be preemptive forewarning the host that what they have put in their mouth is toxic.

In your case, everything probable tastes terrible, and mouth washes and/or tooth paste is not helpful.

I would suggest you contact you primary care physician and discuss this problem with them. Also, in the meantime I would suggest rinsing with baking soda water (1 tsp baking soda in 8 oz of warm water, or salt water 1 tsp of salt in 8 oz of warm water). But again, I would contact you doctor to rule out chronic infection or other possibilities.

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD Richard J Jurevic, DDS, PhD
Formerly, Assistant Professor of Biological Sciences
School of Dental Medicine