Face and Jaw Surgery

Root Plane of Back Molar vs.Osseous Surgery

03/24/2010

Question:

I`m a 55 year old woman with a bottom back lower molar with a 5 deep pocket and a small amount of bone loss visible on xrays. My dentist says I could reduce the pocket and slow the bone loss with Root Planeing. The tooth had a root canal with metal posts 17 years ago. I got a second opinion from a Periodontist who says the tooth is savable but recommends Osseous Laser Surgery which is about 6 times more expensive and from what I read comes with many worrisome outcomes and risks of infection. I have a history of root canal infections and don`t ever want that to happen again. Would it be advisable to have the Root Planeing done first and wait to measure the success of that procedure before moving forward with the Osseous Surgery?

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. A question similar to yours has been previously addressed. The links below will connect you to that information. NetWellness may also have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Osseous Surgery
Osseous surgery result

Go to the Face and Jaw Surgery health topic, where you can:

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org