Removal of Crown to Repair Decay

04/12/2010

Question:

I had a root canal 15 yrs ago.The dentist told me as he did the root cancal he hit calcification. But wouldn`t cause any future problems. Now I have decay on the tooth. Could there still be some of the nerve still there causing this decay? I`ve had no pain at all. But was advised if not taken care of it would get worse.It couldn`t be tapped of and must be cut off. Now a new crown has to be purchased once decay is fixed. What are the chances I would have more trouble with this jaw tooth once fixed again. Should it be pulled instead?

Answer:

Tooth decay is caused by bacterial byproducts destroying part of your tooth.  The nerve of your tooth cannot cause tooth decay but the root canal treatment can be affected if the decay allows bacterial byproducts to contaminate the root canal you had done previously.  I cannot answer whether your root canal has been contaminated or whether you have enough tooth structure left to save your tooth.  You should direct questions regarding your specific treatment to your dentist. 

Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS Melissa McCartney Drum, DDS, MS
Assistant Professor of Endodontics