Prostate Cancer

Should I Be Concerned About Cancer?

07/14/2010

Question:

I am a 44 year old male with no history of prostate cancer in my immediate family. A great uncle was diagnosed with it 20 years ago. Several months ago my wife and I noticed blood in my semen. I saw my internist who did a prostate exam and a urinalysis. Urinalysis was clear of blood in urine and he said prostate was good. I have cystic fibrosis which comes with a chronic cough and wonder with what I have read that the cough could be a cause for the blood in the semen. It was improving and was almost clear with just a brown tinge until a few weeks ago I had a cold and increased cough due to increased congestion. When going to bed I got choked up and coughed pretty hard and extensive this night. My wife and I had sex and we noticed the blood in my semen had returned. I saw a urologist at this point and he felt some firmness on one side of my prostate and my PSA came back at 2.7. I am scheduled for a biopsy next Monday. My wife and I are concerned and have done a lot of research the past few days. Should I be concerned about cancer? Does the cough explain the blood in semen? What is normal age-adjusted PSA numbers? Thanks for taking my question!

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, we try to answer general questions about health but cannot diagnose or recommend treatment. You appear to have some very, very specific questions about your symptoms, which can only be answered properly by a physician who is familiar with your history, physical exam, and test results. Your questions about the testing results you've been given or the risks, benefits, and alternatives for proposed treatments of this condition need to be directed to your treating physician(s). You should insist that they answer these questions in a way that you are able to understand before consenting to any treatment. If your physician is unable to help you understand these issues, you should get a second opinion. Take care.

Go to the Prostate Cancer health topic, where you can:

Lee E Ponsky, MD Lee E Ponsky, MD
Associate Professor of Urology