Women's Health

Why was I bleeding?

03/26/2010

Question:

A few nights ago I had sex with my fiance. When we we done I when to the bathroom and I noticed alot of blood. It was like I was having my period. So I thought to myself oh geesh I finally got it. I only get it once every 4- 6 months and Im not on any form of pill. So the next morning. I go to the bathroom and there is nothing on the pad or very very light. And though out the day the same. But when I wipe its a brownish look and light (like the end of a period) I do have PCOS and I did take a pregnancy test to be on the safe side, it said no. Do you have any idea whats going on. This has never happened to me before

Answer:

You describe two separate problems.  The first is having bleeding after intercourse.  This may result from a small injury or tear, from an infection that irritates the cervix, or from an abnormal growth on the cervix such as a polyp or dysplasia.  It would be important to have an examination to rule out one of these problems.

The second issue is not having regular periods.  Women who have PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) do not ovulate regularly and often experience long intervals between their periods.  When these intervals are more than a couple of months, the lining of the uterus can build up irregularly and start to bleed unexpectedly, sometimes very heavily.  It also increases the risk of uterine cancer.  It is important to talk to your doctor about medication to bring on regular bleeding to prevent these problems.

Go to the Women's Health health topic, where you can:

Jonathan  A Schaffir, MD Jonathan A Schaffir, MD
Clnical Assistant Professor of Obstetrics & Gynecology