Gynecology

Strange Discharge Begining After Period

04/08/2010

Question:

Hello, I`m 21, and on the 12th of the month, I got my period, and while it was a couple days earlier than expected, it went by like my period normaly does, lasted 6 days like usual, and like usual I had a bit of brown discharge, old blood, at the end. What was unusual was that that brown discharge has not gone away, and it is late on the 29th today. It was also accompanied by very watery discharge that smells not so pleasant that started around the last day or so of my period and has also not gone away. There is no itchiness at all. I am not taking any birth control, but I am sexually active. Me and my partner have been together for four years and were both virgins before each other, and we have never had any other sexual partners aside from each other either. It may be unrelated but I also have been feeling very light cramps, almost like menstrual cramps but not painful and its only barely present enough for me to notice them and then tune them out when they come.

What in the world is going on with me, and is it something that I absolutely need to see an OBGYN about? I have no health insurance and funds are tight.

Answer:

Many women do not have clock-work-like menstrual periods. This can be due to a variety of reasons, including hyperplasia (where the lining of the uterus gets a little thicker then normal), uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus that can cause irregular bleeding), uterine polyps (also a type of begin tumor-like structure), miscarriages, thyroid problems, excessive weight gain or weight loss, withdrawal of hormonal contraception, and uterine cancer. Additionally, the menstrual cycle can change a bit with increasing age, stress levels, and if you are around other females.

You should talk with you doctor to see what may be causing your irregular bleeding and to develop a better understanding of your particular concerns.

Further information can be found at Abnormal Uterine Bleeding (American Academy of Family Physicians).

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org