Athletic Training

Orthotics

04/02/2010

Question:

I went to an occupational therapist and she made me orthotics. I would put them on and just sitting down with them on caused my feet to swell and be very painfull. If I walked in them I would nearly fall to the ground because the pain was so bad. They were just tourcher. She adjusted them alot of time put still could not use them. I tried for weeks to use them but just couldn`t. I am have rheumatoid arthritis and that is why I went to see the OT. Is there any thing else that I can try for my feet?

Answer:

I would suggest a follow up with your physician to determine if any other options exist for your pain. Sometimes orthotics can be an initial irritant to symptoms and may cause some worsening of symptoms. You do not mention the type of orthotic you were using which may be the source of some of the increased symptoms.  In addition, shoe wear may play a part as well. Your local health care provider may be able to provide you better-individualized guidance as to your different options.  Good Luck!

Go to the Athletic Training health topic, where you can:

Janine   Oman, MS, PT/ATC Janine Oman, MS, PT/ATC
Assistant Athletic Director
Instructor at the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences