Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Clots

04/09/2010

Question:

I have had clots in both lungs twice within the last two years. I am on warfarin again and am being tested for the source of the clots. When I go into the hospital, I feel zapped. When I leave the hospital, I feel much better. My doctor says that the clots are still there and will resolve over time. 1. If the clots are still there, why do I feel better and why can I breathe better? 2. Can you give me an estimate of how long it will take the clots to dissolve? 3. What physician specialty should help me investigate the clot source?

Thanks.

Answer:

It is hard to say with any certainty how long it will take the clots to dissolve, as this can be variable from one patient to another. What is important is that while you are on the anticoagulation your body should be able to dissolve the clots. With the improvement in the clots, you should begin to feel better gradually over time. The feeling of improvement of your clinical symptoms is not necessarily related to the dissolving of the clots.

I would encourage you to see a hematologist with expertise in clotting disorders to help evaluate your blood clotting issues and determine the best course of treatment.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine