Lung diseases

Shoulder Blade and Chest Pain

04/05/2010

Question:

I have RA, Anemia, Asthma, High blood pressure and pulmonary hypertension. I always go for a walk in the morning for 30 minutes. Now the weather has gotten nice I started going for another walk lunch time for 30minutes. Since starting the second walk during the day I have been getting pains in both shoulder blades, tightness in my chest and a sharp stabing pain on the right side of my chest. The chest pain is so bad that I have to stop dead in my tracks and grab my chest due to the pain. The pain only lasts a few seconds and then happens again every few minutes. I don`t get short of breath but I do breathe heavier sooner then I use to. I thought it was from the extra walking but I started that a few months ago. If it was from the walking shouldn`t I be used to that after a few months? Any ideas on ways to stop the pain becuase I want to conitnue to go for my two walks a day if I can.

Answer:

This is very unlikely to be due to your asthma. I would be much more worried about potential cardiac explanations of your pain given your history of hypertension and pulmonary hypertension. I would ask your primary care doctor to further investigate your cardiac status as a starting point for the workup of your complaints.

Go to the Lung diseases health topic, where you can:

Jonathan P Parsons, MD, MSc Jonathan P Parsons, MD, MSc
Clinical Associate Professor
Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep