Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders

Can Mastoid Effusion Cause Speech Problem?

04/08/2010

Question:

A year and a half ago I had ear surgery a mastoidectomy for a cholesteatoma on my right ear. When they got in there it ended up being scar tissue. I have been haveing trouble with my speech lately like sometimes the words wont come out. An MRI was ordered and and supposedly showed Mastoid Effusion. I have no ear pain,or drainage. I have been dizzy off and on. But the speech problem is becoming problematic in my job as I talk for a living. My question is can Mastoid Effusion cause speech problems? Thank You for answering.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, NetWellness experts try to answer general questions about health. Only a health professional performing a thorough clinical exam is able to evaluate your symptoms. However, NetWellness may have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Go to the Ear, Nose, and Throat Disorders health topic, where you can:

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org