Eye and Vision Care

20/20 Vision and Need Glasses?

04/12/2010

Question:

I went to the eye doctor to get my eyes checked after 10yrs. I`ve always had 20/20 vision but suspected it was changing because I wasn`t able to see things as clearly and when I put on a pair of friends glasses, letters were crisper. After the eye exam was complete, I was told by the doctor that I have good vision with a possibility of a little nearsightedness. He said he could write me a light prescription if I wanted him to. When asked what vision I have, he said 20/20 but that maybe at some point I was closer to 20/15. Is it crazy to want to see things as crisp as I used to and wear glasses though I`m told I have 20/20 vision. I could read the letters at the bottom of the eye exam but they weren`t completely clear.

Answer:

It is not crazy. We think of 20/20 as being normal when in fact most young patients and many older patients with healthy eyes see much better than 20/20. If you value the superior clarity and performance that you achieve with a prescription, then wear it. You may notice the benefits under more challenging conditions, e.g., driving at night, sporting events, theater, etc.

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Mark  Bullimore, MCOptom, PhD Mark Bullimore, MCOptom, PhD
College of Optometry