Epilepsy

Childhood Radiation 35 Years Ago

04/08/2010

Question:

My wife survived having Rhabdomysarcoma when she was 5. She had a mastoidectomy combined with radiation and Chemo around 1975. She has developed, over the past 3 years, partial/absence/focal seizures.

She does have significant trauma because of the radiation and it`s affect on physical development, primarily above the shoulders, but until recently, these were merely external and not life-changing. She is most recently taking Lemictal but as with the others, the seizures persist. Surgery is a horrendous option for her, as intubation and recovery are dreadful. Is there a different direction I could head her in, I think at this point, she (and I) would be quite content to have her DR. say, this is the best it`s going to get, but they trudge on with medication after medication. I have to think this is not just a run of the mill seizure disorder and that the damage caused by the radiation warrants a different approach. On top of it, she`s 5` 100# and extremely physically fit and takes full charge of her health, which makes the lack of control here even worse.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, NetWellness experts try to answer general questions about health. Only a health professional performing a thorough clinical exam is able to evaluate your symptoms. However, NetWellness may have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Go to the Epilepsy health topic, where you can:

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org