Bleeding and Clotting Disorders

Low Platelets Count

04/14/2010

Question:

I`ve had low platelets count that ranged between 60k-110+k, but in the last year it hasn`t gone below 80k. However, in the last six months I`ve been bruising more easily (usually small bruises), more frequent nose bleeds (which stops faster than usual nose bleeds), and in the last week I`ve discovered a couple of little red/pink spots on my hands/arms that looked like I`ve been bleeding underneath my skin. I was under my country`s public healthcare before, but the doctor closed my case after finding an aggregation of platelets and plus I did not have any of the aforementioned symptoms. No tests were done on different test tubes, and so it`s just an assumption. Do I have a cause to worry now, or can I just `wait and see`?

Answer:

It is really not possible to make a diagnosis in a forum such as this. What you describe could be mild bleeding symptoms from a low platelet count, but it is difficult to tell without being able to see your blood work and examine you.

What you describe about the aggregation of platelets might be referring to “clumping” of the platelets in the tube. When this is the case, the platelet count in the patient is normal - they just clump in the tube. Really not much more can be said at this point. I would encourage you to go back and see a physician if the bleeding symptoms continue or worsen.

Go to the Bleeding and Clotting Disorders health topic, where you can:

Spero R Cataland, MD Spero R Cataland, MD
Associate Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine