Sports Medicine

Recovery for a Broken Ankle

04/14/2010

Question:

I broke my fibula, very low down and had a plate and 4 screw put in. After being in a cast for 2 weeks it was taken off and i was told by the surgeon to start moving my ankle around to try to get the range of motion back but no weight bearing for 4 weeks. I am getting some range of motion back but it is very slow going! The concern I have is that every time i lower my foot it goes stiff, and turns a blotchy purple within about 5 minutes. Is this normal or something to be concerned about? It happened right after the cast came off and is still going on with no improvement at all when i lower my foot. Any suggestions on how to get it to stop or should I be worried? Thank you very much.

Answer:

These questions need to be directed to your treating orthopedist, who is familiar with your case, including results of your physical examination, imaging studies, and intra-operative details. In particular, you will want to be assured there is no problem with the blood flow into (arterial circulation) as well as out of (venous circulation) your foot.

Go to the Sports Medicine health topic, where you can:

Brian L Bowyer, MD Brian L Bowyer, MD
Clinical Associate Professor
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation