Lung diseases

Focal Rounded Nodular Density

04/19/2010

Question:

an xray revealed a focal rounded nodular density of approximately 1 cm just anterior to the lower thoracic spine possibly conflent shadow. What does this mean? Dr. is only advising a repear ct of chest in 30 days.

Answer:

This finding is typically known as a pulmonary nodule (alternately described as density, mass, shadow or others). There are several posts on Netwellness regarding this, which represents a spectrum of issues. As you can see on those posts, radiographic follow-up (taking another xray or CT) may be an option for some patients. Your physician should discuss with you the specifics of your case.

In general, the approach to pulmonary nodules is tailored to each patient based on a number of specific issues. Some of these issues include, but are not limited to:
I cannot make further useful comments without this type of specific information. I recommend you ask your physician to discuss their thoughts, perspectives and recommendations with you based on the specifics of your case. What they feel may be causing the abnormality dictates, in many ways, your options.
This finding is typically known as a pulmonary nodule (alternately described as density, mass, shadow or others). There are several posts on Netwellness regarding this, which represents a spectrum of issues. As you can see on those posts, radiographic follow-up (taking another xray or CT) may be an option for some patients.  Your physician should discuss with you the specifics of your case.

In general, the approach to pulmonary nodules is tailored to each patient based on a number of specific issues. Some of these issues include, but are not limited to: Presence or absence of calcificationPatient history (especially of previous lung or chest problems) Any symptoms (if present)

Go to the Lung diseases health topic, where you can:

Robert  Schilz, DO, PhD Robert Schilz, DO, PhD