Eye and Vision Care

Different Size of the Eye

04/21/2010

Question:

My daughter`s size in right is smaller than in left. She`s turning two years old this year. Can you pls. tell me why it happens? And later on will her eyes can be the same size?

Answer:

The way this question is written does not indicate which part of the eye is smaller or if the right eye is actually smaller or looks smaller.

If you are referring to the pupil (dark part of the eye) and it is smaller in the right eye, it probably will not change. If this change in size is recent, you should see an eye doctor right away. If the right pupil has always been smaller it is not a problem and will not change.

I am wondering if her eyelid is lower in the right eye, which may create the perception that the right eye is smaller. I cannot speculate any further regarding the lid.

If you happen to view this response, please consider writing your concern with a little more detail, and I will be glad to try and answer it.

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Aaron  Zimmerman, OD, MS Aaron Zimmerman, OD, MS
Clinical Associate Professor of Optometry
College of Optometry