Gynecology

A Cyst or a Follicle?

04/26/2010

Question:

Dear Doctor,

I had 2 ultrasounds done in the past two months, and both reported a small cyst on the left ovary. The first one said that "the left ovary contains a minimally complex cyst 1.9*1.6*1.7cm, likely physiological, not clearly representing a corpus luteum". The second one says that the left ovary contains a simple cyst 1.5*1.5cm. Both ultrasounds are done at day 10 of my cycle, at the same place. I ask the doctor at the second ultrasound if I had a cyst. She said that she saw a dominant follicle on the left ovary and nothing that would look like a cyst. I also clearly had ovulations both months on day 13. I am confused. Do they call a dominant follicle a cyst? Is it the same thing? My previous ultrasound lab always reported a dominant follicle, but I switches the medical center, and now they keep reporting the cyst and not a word about the folicle. I am used to view a cyst as a bad thing, and now I am trying to get pregnant and do not want any complications. Can doctors just call a dominant follicle a simple cyst? Is it the same?

Answer:

They are likely talking about the same thing. A dominant follicle IS a cyst (a fluid filled structure). Given that it was done almost mid cycle, it represents a dominant follicle a few days before ovulation. The question is, why was the ultrasound being performed? What were the symptoms that lead to the study?

Go to the Gynecology health topic, where you can:

Thomas  A deHoop, MD Thomas A deHoop, MD
Formerly Associate Professor of Clinical Obstetrics and Gynecology
Director, Medical Student Education