Eye and Vision Care

Bump on Eyeball

04/27/2010

Question:

About 6 months ago I noticed a vey small bump in the white of my eye up close to the iris, it has grown in size as of recent and Ive developed another small bump on the white of my other eye...anyone know what this could be? I made an appointment but my doctor cant get me in for 4 months, Im a little freaked about it so any answers would e great! Thanks

Answer:

Thank you for your question. Some of the more common growths on the front part of the eye include pinguecula and conjunctival cysts. A conjunctival cyst is a fluid-filled sac located on the conjunctiva (the conjunctiva is the membrane that covers the white part of the eye as well as the inner part of the eyelids). A pinguecula is an abnormal growth of the ocular tissue, usually in response to UV exposure/sunlight.

Both of these conditions are common and will most likely not lead to an eye infection. I do recommend keeping your appointment with your eye doctor so he or she may thoroughly assess your condition, offer a diagnosis and recommend a possible treatment and management plan. However, if you do experience any pain, redness, irritation or decrease in vision, please schedule an appointment with your eye doctor immediately.

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Julia Rae Geldis, OD, MS Julia Rae Geldis, OD, MS
Clinical Associate Professor of Optometry
College of Optometry