Mouth Diseases

Strange Symptoms That Come and Go in My Mouth

04/29/2010

Question:

The inside of my mouth swells. I get a film in my mouth. I get ridges on the insides of my mouth. When I eat the symptoms become worse with my mouth swelling even worse and it is painful. If I look in the mirror I look swollen and I feel out of sorts.

Several weeks ago I had a painful sore on my gum that was very painful but finally went away. I don`t know if the two were related. I did go to my dentist but he saw nothing. I also went to my family doctor and he saw nothing. I KNOW something is not right. If you could suggest the type of doctor I should see for this problem.

Answer:

The problem here is that the sore you described and the other feelings that your mouth is "out of sorts" may not be related. Without the history of a painful sore, your description could represent burning mouth syndrome (BMS). You can find additional information about BMS at the links below.

If another sore develops, however, I would advise you to see your dentist as quickly as possible to examine the area, determine what it may be (clinical diagnosis), and prescribe proper treatment as needed.

Good luck!

Burning Mouth Syndrome
Burning Mouth Syndrome (AAOMP)

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD John R Kalmar, DMD, PhD
Clinical Professor of Pathology