Mouth Diseases

Gums Around Teeth are Sensitive and Swell

05/05/2010

Question:

My tongue feels dry on top, sometimes gums swell between my teeth, normally feels very sensitive or irritated between my gums and teeth in the front/ bottom teeth, so I chew gum to kind of distract myself form this irritation.

I did go to a specialist in Milwaukee to check my mouth and he said that it was not sure what caused it but did not feel it was that serious and I would not die from it! So that was about 1.5 years ago and symptoms still there. Anything more to do?

Answer:

The symptoms that you are describing could be related to a condition called burning mouth syndrome (BMS). BMS is a rather common sensory neuropathy (disturbance in the way the sensory nerves transmit information to the brain) that is harmless, but annoying. Ideally you should be seen by an oral pathologist to confirm this diagnosis. More information about BMS can be found at the links below.

Burning Mouth Syndrome
Oral Conditions - Information for Patients (AAOMP)

Go to the Mouth Diseases health topic, where you can:

Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD Carl M Allen, DDS, MSD
Professor of Oral Pathology