Urinary Disorders

Pain three months after open pyeloplasty

Hello. I am a 51 year old female with a long history (years) of re-current UTI`s, small recurrent right renal calculi and chronic right lower quadrant/groin pain. After developing fever, nausea, worsening pain this past December, i was diagnosed through ureteroscopy,with severe right sided UPJ obstruction and mild hydronephrosis. I had an open dismembered pyeloplasty in January, J-stents were used before and after and was removed 4 weeks post-op. I had significant pain (worse with drinking/eating/standing) with the j stent and it was not relieved upon removal. It`s now 3 months post-op and i feel like i am in as much pain on most days as i was the first few days after surgery. I followed up with the urologist and an IVP showed mild UPJ narrowing and dilitation of the renal pelvis. Are these symptoms normal this far out from surgery, or should i be looking for another specialist. I returned to work 2 weeks after the surgery, but have lost weight and am just not bouncing back due to the chronic pain. thank you.

It is worth following up with your urologist. It may be worth getting a nuclear scan with Lasix to help confirm that the system is not still obstructed.

Go to the Urinary Disorders health topic, where you can:

Donald R Bodner, MD Donald R Bodner, MD
Professor of Urology