Eye and Vision Care

Eyes Water

05/12/2010

Question:

My boyfriends eyes water for no apparent reason. We think it`s due to allergies, but he`s never had any allergies problems before. His eyes water in one eye then moves on to the next eye. And starts watering for 2-3 days then it`s gone. It happens when he comes over to my house. We are very clean people, so I`m still trying to figure out what makes it water. His eyes do not get red, he says they get itchy, but that`s about it.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, we try to answer general questions about ocular conditions but cannot diagnose or recommend treatment.

Symptoms of ocular allergies do include itchy, watery eyes. The eyes may occasionally also get red due to allergies and ropy, white discharge may be present. Common allergens that may cause ocular allergies include pollen, pet dander, and dust mites.

I recommend your boyfriend schedule with an eye care provider for proper diagnosis and management. If your boyfriend is diagnosed with ocular allergies, your eye care provider can then also make the proper referral if needed for additional allergy testing by an allergist.

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Julia Rae Geldis, OD, MS Julia Rae Geldis, OD, MS
Clinical Associate Professor of Optometry
College of Optometry