Why Do These Drugs not Work on Me?

05/05/2010

Question:

I went to the dentist to have a fragment of root taken out. I went to three different dentists and allthought the oral injections knumbed my gum, the anesthetic did not work. I was given three by the last dentist but still this did not work. Yesterday I went for Yag Laser and it was very painful. I was wondering if the drops they put in my eye didn`t work as the treatment was meant to be painless. How could I find out if I am immune?

Answer:

If you have had local anesthesia before for dental treatment and it was successful, there is no reason to believe it will not work again. For some teeth and some areas of the jaws, it can be more difficult to achieve local anesthesia. I would discuss this with your dentist, as there are other techniques and drugs that can be used. This one episode does not mean that local anesthesia for dentistry will be unsuccessful at future visits.