COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)

Coughing for 3 Months

05/06/2010

Question:

my doctor diagnosed me with emphysema yesterday. I have had a terrible cough for almost 3 months, I have a fever and am weak. All he said was stop smoking. I am 45 female and have been smoking since I was 11. I am very scared. I lost my vocals which are coming back. I am worried about what stage it is in and my survival rate. I have a fever and am coughing up pleghm. When I am active I don`t cough. It is when I sit or ly down chest x-rays didn`t show anything but, bronchitis. but the pain in my left side worries me do you think I have bruised my chest walls from coughing so much. I would like to see a specialist but, my doctor hasn`t mentioned that. I am scared and would really apreciate some advice and insight. Thanks

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness and for your question. You seem to have some very specific questions about your health. These questions can only be answered by a health professional with knowledge of your specific case. A pulmonologist may be able to provide more details for you. Quitting cigarettes is the first and most important step in improving your health. You will find some additional general information about stages of disease at the link below. 

Please accept our best wishes.

Emphysema: Stages and Life Expectancy

Go to the COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) health topic, where you can:

Michael E Ezzie, MD Michael E Ezzie, MD
Clinical Assistant Professor of Pulmonary, Allergy, Critical Care & Sleep