Pain Management

Car accident..

05/05/2010

Question:

I was rear ended 3 months ago. No specific injuries were noted at the ER, just mild inflamation and pain in the right shoulder. Since the accident, I have been waking up 2-3 times per night. Sleep position does not matter, but my left arm goes numb. I wake up and move the arm until it`s back to normal, but it happens again and again. My sleep has been ruined by this. I know the nerves and muscles in my back are still unsettled from the accident... Is this related to the accident? Is there something I can do to make it stop? I am a healthy 20 year old woman but this has impacted my sleep to the point of causing constant fatigue and bags under my eyes. This only happens during sleep and it`s only my left arm. The degree of numbness varies from tingling to completely numb and phantom feeling at the time of awakening.

Answer:

Thank you for visiting NetWellness. On this site, NetWellness experts try to answer general questions about health. Only a health professional performing a thorough clinical exam is able to evaluate your symptoms. However, NetWellness may have some general information available that you can access through our search feature. Feel free to write back if you still have questions or need an explanation.

Go to the Pain Management health topic, where you can:

NetWellness Staff
NetWellness.org