Children's Health

Repeated Elevated CRP Levels

05/20/2010

Question:

My 7 year old son has suffered chronic illness since he was a small child. Recently he was found to have a fungal infection in his esophagus. He has been suffering from repeated vomitting, diarreah and joint pain for the past 7 to 8 months. His endoscopy and colonoscopy were normal, aside from the esophagitis. His labs show elevated CRP levels, rare polymorphonuclear cells in his stool and blood in his stool. Our family history is also checkered with illnesses such as: diabetes, systemic lupus, hyperthyroidism and his sister has an MBL (mannose binding lectin) deficiency. I am worried sick for him, but the pediatrician does not seem concerned. His GI doctor ran his latest labs. Am I over-reacting?

Answer:

You have some interesting concerns; however, I feel hampered because I don't see where your son's chronic health condition is noted for me to try to tie all pieces of this situation together. Questions I have are:

1. Is your son gaining weight or has he normalized from the diarrhea episode? If yes, growth/weight becomes less of a concern.

2. How is he doing in school? Is he able to keep up with classmates? Does he have fun? If yes, he is more likely to be on track developmentally, which somewhat lessens concerns.

3. Is the GI doctor following up on the blood in stool, etc.?

Without more information I don't feel I can offer further, informed, input.

Go to the Children's Health health topic, where you can:

Sarah Sauntry, RN, MS, CPNP-PC
Assistant Professor of Clinical Nursing