Eye and Vision Care

Dryness in Eyes

05/26/2010

Question:

My dad has severe pain in his eyes for a long time. He is 62 years old. He has severe pain when he is driving in the night. He went to the doctor last week and she had asked her to put tear drops 3 times a day. The doctor had said that he has scratches in his eyes and he need to put the tear drops everyday. Can you tell me what other precautions he needs to take apart from applying the tear drops? Can it be relieved by diet? Please advice...Thanks in advance.

Answer:

I am glad to see that your father was seen by a doctor - if it was an eye professional, it is important to follow her directions and return for a follow up. If your father did not see an eye doctor specifically, the best advice for this situation is for your father to seek a comprehensive eye examination from a licensed eye professional (optometrist or ophthalmologist). The 'scratches' on his eyes could signify a number of possible diagnosis, ranging from benign to severe, and all carry vastly different treatments. The only way to differentiate, diagnose and appropriately treat would be via full eye examination.

Submitted by Marta Fabrykowski, Third Year Intern, OSU College of Optometry 

Go to the Eye and Vision Care health topic, where you can:

Andrew J Toole, OD, PhD, FAAO
Clinical Assistant Professor of Optometry
College of Optometry